I’ve downloaded this Visual Novel and played it a bit a while ago (which according to my youtube video is December 2014). But, for some reason or another, I never really managed to finish a single route until today.
And now that I’ve finished one, all I can say is, I should have played this Visual Novel ages ago. ^^
For a fanmade VN, this is quite well made. The Saki route (of course! its the first route I’ve tried!) is surprisingly entertaining. It even contained a nice hypothesis about the “Miyanaga family” and of course the ever popular question, “what happened to Goldfish?”. As I read the Saki route, I’m surprised that the hypothesis posed by the Visual Novel is actually plausible.
In any case, I’m getting ahead of myself.
The game puts you in the shoes of Teru at the end of the National Tournament. In this VN, “Shiraitodai lost the team tournament but Teru won the individual one.” Not like this fact affects anything in this setting which is just a damn shame.
Instead the visual novel revolves around a festival that Shiraitodai is hosting. And of course, they asked the teams that are still in Tokyo for help in the preparation.
And thus the plot ball rolls….
In any case, for those who haven’t played it yet, I recorded my play through of the Saki route and uploaded it to youtube. So if for some reason you’re having trouble finding or downloading the VN, you can check it out here. The videos are also contained in the spoiler tags in this post so just click to watch.
For my personal comments please scroll way down since it contain spoilers for the VN.
Walkthrough for the Saki’s best end is this.
- Behind the Bulletin board
- Say Hi
- Invite Saki to that Place
- I’ll go myself
- Go to the bookstore with Saki
- Because of this festival.
- Look for her outside of school
- Don’t know.
- Reject Haramura-san
If you’re done with the VN or just want to read spoilers, scroll way down for my personal comments.
First, thing first. I haven’t ventured out in the other routes yet, but I think this visual novel is made or conceived when the burning wheelchair page was released because a great amount of content was related to that. And considering Ritz-sensei release schedule, there is still nothing that contradict the theory espoused by the VN, so let’s dissect it shall we.
In the VN, goldfish as the fans have dubbed her is Teru and Saki’s cousin from her mother side. And contrary to many popular fan theory regarding “Demon Lord Saki”, its Teru who is jealous of Saki and Goldfish relationship than the other way around.
I personally find this more palatable than Saki being jealous of Goldfish. We did have a small scene of Saki and Goldfish at the pier and from the brief glimpse we have, I have a feeling that the two of them were quite close. Saki was even crying after that dream.
Of course, at the same time, I have a hard time thinking of Teru as a jealous person, but we haven’t seen any intense emotion from Teru ever… Most of the time, our elder Miyanaga emulates a rock.
As for the estrangement.
According to the VN, it happened because the hospital that Goldfish was checked in burned. Saki tried to go in the fire but Teru stopped her. Unbeknownst to Saki, Teru also tried to get in to rescue Goldfish but the fire was too widespread and hot that Teru couldn’t do it and almost became a victim herself.
Because of this incident, Saki became very depressed that she won’t come out of her room and won’t even eat. Teru afraid that Saki would die said that Saki won’t be her little sister anymore. Saki who at this point is very depressed said that its okay because she will be and be with Goldfish. Saki also said some very bad things to Teru. “If Onee-chan didn’t stop me, she would still be alive.” ~ thing going on.
Teru was very hurt decided to go with her mother to Tokyo.
Saki, of course, immediately regretted her words but Teru was already gone when she came to her senses.
…. The past flashbacks is pretty sad all around. There are cute scenes though like how Saki and Teru interacted when they were kids which are cute. And the fact, that Teru is in-love with Saki when they were little kids. That was cute even if Teru was angsting about it.
Though, it sort of became uncute since it was the source of Teru’s jealousy. Saki was of course also in-love with Teru but while it shows in her action; Saki doesn’t know it herself because its Saki and she’s oblivious to feelings. Of course, its only when Teru left that Saki realized that she likes Teru in the love-love way.
Its also the reason why Saki cut her hair.
In the end, due to the Saki and Teru finally talking and spending time with one another. They stop being oblivious idiots pining for each other and become a couple.
Happy Ending all around.
<I personally give this theory. A three out of five. Its certainly plausible. But, I cannot see Saki actually saying bad things to Teru even though I know that Saki admitted that she did something wrong. Supposedly. That and I want Goldfish to be alive and be the boss at the future world cup. Saki would not end until Ritz dies of old age. lol >
Other miscellaneous comment:
- I know that Saki is being portrayed as innocent. Or at least in Teru’s pov, Saki is an innocent lamb that cannot know of sex or lewd things. But, who was suspicious when Saki said that NODOKA recommended a yuri incest book. Yuri, I can sort of get. Yuri incest …. pffft. Saki you picked that book on your own.
- Awai maybe an idiot in mahjong but her antics are fun to read. I would like to pair her for this route with Sumire. Someone needs to make that person loosen up. … Though, I do wonder how Awai managed to get something that increased libido anyway? lol
- I really like the reoccurring motif of the Sakura flower keychain as it ties the past and present.
- Considering some choices that forks other path, the great conflict of Teru and Saki’s route is for them to have some courage and face each other. (Which fits Saki’s canon personality, though as I’ve said Teru actual problem and actual personality in canon is still a cipher. ) Heck, when you make a bad end. You do it not because you have made Saki irreconcilably mad at you but because you wasted a perfect opportunity and now too cowardly to face her.
- I don’t know why Teru has to transfer to Kiyosumi for a few months, specially since she is in her third year already. They could have done the events in the break between school years.
Anyway, I greatly enjoyed this route. Thanks for yuritime for making it and Trueend for translating it.